Defiant ex PM Muscat: ‘Bring it on’ over call for further Egrant investigation

Former Prime Minister believes there’s no cause to be concerned about further probe.

Dr Joseph Muscat, the former prime minister of Malta, said on Sunday that he has no reason to be concerned about further investigations into allegations that his family is related to the offshore business Egrant. Muscat, who resigned in 2019 amid allegations that his office was involved in the death of Daphne Caruana Galizia, claimed he and his family had been “through hell based on fake signatures, and we were proven right.”

Muscat responded in a Facebook post earlier this morning, to an exclusive Sunday Times of Malta article in today’s edition, in which it is stated that a probe by foreign experts into the operations of the shuttered Pilatus Bank had recommended that more investigative steps be taken to get to the bottom of claims surrounding the once-secret company.

“I assure everyone that I have nothing against any further steps to put at rest even the slightest doubt that some people seem to be intent in continuing to raise. Bring it on,” he wrote in his Facebook post.

Muscat stated that he was unaware of the substance of the expert study because he had not seen it, but said he was “quite clear in saying that anyone can investigate whatever they want”.

“I hope the United States are asked whether there was any money which was given to my wife or myself, if they have not been asked already. Neither myself, nor my wife or family have anything to do with Egrant or with any transaction, as already concluded by an independent inquiry,” he wrote.

“Once there is the same conclusion as before, what will happen? Will the person who fabricated all this continue evading justice? Who will compensate the people for the millions of euro that have been spent on the Egrant invention against me which was aimed at destabilising government?  Who will do justice with our family?” he asked. 

Maria Efimova, a former Pilatus Bank employee, said a $1.01 million transaction was routed to the Panama business Egrant, which she claimed was held by Michelle Muscat, the prime minister’s wife at the time.

The Muscats had categorically denied any link, and the Egrant investigation, which concluded in 2018, found no evidence to support the claims.